Household Hazardous Waste
Many common products that we use in our daily lives contain potentially hazardous materials and require special care for disposal. Chemicals in illegally or improperly disposed hazardous waste can be released into the environment and contaminate our air and water. Throwing hazardous waste in the garbage can cause additional hazards to your garbage handler. Visit CalRecycle's Household Hazardous Waste website to learn more about the different types of household hazardous waste.
Hesperia residents can dispose of household hazardous waste and electronic waste for FREE at the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility in Hesperia.
Do you have hazardous waste from your small business? Hazardous waste from businesses is not accepted at the HHW Facility. Visit San Bernardino County Fire's Small Business Hazardous Waste website for more information on business hazardous waste disposal or contact San Bernardino County Fire at 909-382-5401 to make an appointment to use the Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) program for proper disposal.
Household Hazardous Waste Facility
The HHW facility is located at 17443 Lemon Street, Hesperia, CA 92345
Hours of operation: Thursday - 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Saturday - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Household Hazardous Waste Facility will be closed on the following dates:
- Veterans Day - Thursday, November 11, 2021
- Thanksgiving - Thursday, November 25, 2021
- Christmas Eve Day Observed - Thursday, December 23, 2021
- Christmas Day - Saturday, December 25, 2021
- New Year's Eve Day Observed - Thursday, December 30, 2021
- New Year's Day - Saturday, January 1, 2022
There are limits on the amount of hazardous waste allowed for transportation. No more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per trip may be brought to the HHW Facility per participant, and containers may be no larger than five (5) gallons.
- Motor oil & oil filters
- Auto & household batteries
- Paints, paint products, paint thinner & wood preservatives
- Cleaners, gasoline, antifreeze & weed killers
- Pesticides & fertilizers
- Pool & hobby supplies
- Auto & furniture polish
- Chemical drain cleaners
- Electronic waste
- Sharps/needles (in approved container)
- Outdated medications
- Mercury thermostats @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Business waste
- Waste from non-profit organizations
- Medical waste
- Refrigerant cylinders
- Treated wood waste
- Auto injectors
- Reactive waste @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Sharps may be brought to the HHW Facility in a plastic bio-hazard sharps container OR a two (2) gallon or smaller heavy-duty plastic household container. The container should be leak-resistant, remain upright during use, and have a tight fitting, puncture-resistant lid, such as a plastic laundry detergent container. Containers consisting of glass, metal, cardboard, or paper will not be accepted.
Sharps containers shall only contain needles, lancets, and syringes with a needle attached that must be completely spent (used and no liquid remaining; this includes EpiPens).
More sharps resources from San Bernardino County Fire:
- Sharps Brochure
- How to Create Your Own Sharps Container (English)
- How to Create Your Own Sharps Container (Spanish)
For more information on what the HHW Facility will or will not accept, visit San Bernardino County Fire's Household Hazardous Waste Accepted Items. You can also visit County Fire's HHW Homepage for more information on hazardous waste and collection events and locations in San Bernardino County.
The HHW Facility offers FREE household products one day each month at the Hesperia Reuse Store. View details and store hours here.
If you have questions about household hazardous waste, contact San Bernardino County Fire HHW Division at 909-382-5401 or 1-800-OILY-CAT (1-800-645-9228) or the City of Hesperia at 760-947-1019.