Rental Housing Business License and Inspection Program

Attention: The City issued a letter on November 11, 2021, regarding failure to register for the Rental Housing Business License and Inspection Program. Some recipients of this notice may have already registered for the program or may have been exempted from the Program by the City based on qualifying criteria. Property owners who have already registered for the program or have received an exemption will not receive a citation and may disregard the notice. 

The City is experiencing a high volume of calls and receipt of applications for this program. Applications are processed in the order received and so it may take several weeks for property owners or agents to receive an invoice.  Properties will not be scheduled for an inspection until the invoice process is complete and owners and agents will be given ample time to prepare for their inspection, both interior and exterior. 

Thank you for your patience.

Property owners who have applied in good faith but who have not yet been invoiced will not be penalized as the City works through the applications received. Please use this webpage as a resource for general information about the program. 

Click Here to register for the Rental Housing Business License and Inspection Program

The Rental Housing Business License and Inspection Program has been implemented to ensure basic habitability at rental properties, ensure property owners remain responsible for their properties and remove blight and unsafe conditions from neighborhoods. 

The City understands that property owners may utilize property management companies to manage their rental property(ies) as well as related correspondence and fees.  The City will be exclusively corresponding with property owners and it is the property owners responsibility to forward any program documents to their property manager. It is ultimately the property owner's responsibility to ensure compliance with all Rental  Housing Business License and Inspection Program components.

Property Owner Responsibilities

  • Register all rental property(ies)  by completing and submitting an online application
  • Pay all rental housing related fees
  • Coordinate exterior and interior inspections with tenant(s)
  • Ensure rental unit(s) comply with City standards and codes
  • Ensure that any violations have been corrected and/or repaired with all required permits, approvals, and inspections
  • Schedule any re-inspections
  • Renew business license annually
  • If a property manager is utilized, ensure that they understand that the property owner is responsible for compliance, even if it may be a coordinated effort

Tenant Responsibilities

  • Work with the property owner to coordinate interior inspections and any re-inspections
  • Review checklist with property owner prior to the interior inspection

You can read the Rental Housing Regulations by clicking here.

To find out what the inspection may include, click here for a checklist of the most commonly checked items.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Who must register?

All rental properties in the City are required to be registered each year.

What will be inspected?

Code Enforcement will inspect the exterior of properties and a percentage of the interior of units.  The basic inspection will include the following, but is not limited to: 

  1. Property is maintained and kept in a neat, habitable condition, including the absence of trash and debris as defined by this code.
  2. All trash receptacles are emptied on a basis frequent enough to prevent spillage and a contract for disposal is maintained with the city’s franchise waste hauler. Trash receptacles and enclosures are maintained and free of defects.
  3. Graffiti, broken windows, fencing, and any other broken or unmaintained property component is repaired within 72 hours of notification to the owner or agent.
  4. Parking areas are maintained and adequate parking is provided to discourage street parking or off-property parking
  5. Common areas are maintained in a clean manner and residents are informed of rules designed to maintain the reasonable enjoyment of the property by all residents.
  6. Residential rental properties with four (4) or more residential rental units shall have a sign showing the owner or management company name, address, and phone number posted in the on-site manager unit or management office, if any, which shall be identified by a notice at the front entrance to the property and shall be posted in a manner approved by the director.
  7. Lease agreements comply with Chapter 8.20 of this code. (Crime Free Registration)
  8. Landscape is maintained, is not dead, and is kept in a neat, orderly manner to add to the enjoyment and aesthetics of the property, including the proper care and trimming of any trees or bushes on the property. The removal of landscape without replacement is not considered maintenance.
  9. Pools, spas and hot tubs are maintained pursuant to requirements of the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health.
  10. Play yards, playgrounds, and other amenities are maintained and free from trash, debris, and broken components.
  11. Mechanical components, including but not limited to, heating, screening, water and sewer or septic tank maintenance or service, and other required components is kept in working order.
  12. Sidewalks and walking paths are maintained and are in good repair.

Is anyone exempt?

Yes, there are some exceptions, they include: 

Housing accommodations in hotels, motels, inns, or tourist homes. This exception does not apply to single room occupancy hotels or hotels in which more than 51% of the rooms are offered for habitation for a duration of longer than 30 consecutive days.

Housing accommodations in any hospital; convent, monastery, or other facility occupied exclusively by members of a religious order; extended medical care facility; asylum; on-campus fraternity or sorority houses; or on-campus housing accommodations owned, operated or managed by an institution of higher education, a high school, or an elementary school of occupancy by its students.

Mobilehomes in mobile home parks, or mobilehome parks, or recreational vehicles as defined in Section 799.24 of the California Civil Code, or recreational vehicle parks. 

Single family homes, which are owner-occupied and in which a single room is rented to a single person.

Junior Accessory Dwelling Units which are part of a single family residence occupied by the owner. 

When do properties have to be registered?

Property owners can begin registering their properties March 22, 2021. Registration is required by June 22, 2021. 

When will my property be inspected?

Your property will be inspected during the assigned renewal month. This may be the month the fees are paid or several months after, depending on the volume of properties registered each month. Notice of your inspection will be provided to you. This is due to the large number of properties that will be included in the program which will require that the City stagger the business license renewals and inspections across the year to ensure that staff has time to complete all necessary inspections and issue licenses promptly and efficiently. This may  mean that the first year your license may be valid for longer than a year, after that the license will be valid for one year and required to renew annually. 

What happens if I have violations?

If a property has violations, the Code Officer will write a notice to the property owner, listing the violations and allowing time to correct them.

I have a tenant who is causing me to fail my inspection, what can I do?

Each property will have case by case issues that may befall them during inspection, it is best to communicate with the Code Enforcement Officer who can decide how best to handle the situation within the confines of the law. 

What is Self-Certification?

The Self-Certification portion of the program will begin in year two. It will allow for owners to submit their annual registration and compliance photos to the City electronically in lieu of a physical inspection. There are limitations and requirements for this and as the second year approaches, owners will be notified of the requirements and fees.