Owners may relinquish their dog with an owner turn-in fee of $10 or their cat for a fee of $5. Owners must provide proof that they live in Hesperia. Animals may or may not be adopted.
Many factors are considered when choosing an animal available for adoption, such as:
Unfortunately, Hesperia Animal Control takes in more animals daily, than are adopted or rescued. Many times the shelter is full to capacity with limited space in our Adoption Center. After the holding period, some animals are euthanized and relinquishing animals to a shelter should be your last resort.
Here are some options to be considered:
- Place an ad under “Free” in the local newspaper or weekly
- If the animal is a purebred then check a search engine on the internet for the breed rescue for that specific breed
- Place picture posters for give away in stores like Petsmart and Petco
- If you are relinquishing the animal because it has a behavioral problem then try Behavioral Specialist or Dog Trainers in the Yellow Pages or attend a dog training class through your local Park and Recreation Department, Petsmart, or Petco
- The animal shelter should be your last resort