What is CERT?
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
What Will the Classes Cover?
As seen in other major disasters, neighbors, employees and families tend to offer aid to those around them which can at times prove dangerous if not properly trained. In the 1985 Mexico City earthquake untrained, spontaneous volunteers saved 800 people however, 100 of them lost their lives while attempting to save others. This is a high price to pay and is preventable through training.
In order to encourage neighborhoods to be prepared to care for themselves in the event of a disaster while maintaining the safety of volunteers the City will be hosting CERT training. The 20 hour CERT course curriculum includes:
- Recent disasters and emergencies, what it means to be a Disaster Worker;
- Identifying structural and nonstructural hazards, hazard mitigation;
- Home and workplace preparedness, community preparedness;
- Fire chemistry, reducing fire hazard, fire suppression safety, and dealing with hazardous materials;
- Triage, treating life-threatening conditions, public health considerations, establishing treatment areas, functions of disaster medical operations, conduction head-to-toe assessments, basic first aid;
- Search and rescue operations;
- Working as part of the CERT program;
- Terrorism – what is it, how are we at risk, how can we be prepared;
- Disaster simulation.
How Can I Sign up?The City is not currently planning any classes.
Both the City of Victorville and the Town of Apple Valley have classes planned
throughout the year and accept participants from Hesperia when class enrollment
allows. Additional information is available here:
Town of Apple Valley
City of Victorville
** CERT Training schedules for Hesperia will be posted here when available.**
For questions regarding the CERT program, please call (760) 947-1018 or email the program coordinator.